Save yourself the pain of a hangover with our expert tactics to feel more lively after a boozy night and protect your body from damage.
- Learn the best ways to maintain hydration and energy
- Fight the toxins from alcohol
- Use our emergency morning after protocol!
HYDRATE BEFORE, DURING & AFTER
Booze causes us to lose a lot of water, meaning we get dehydrated – this is actually the reason why our heads hurt the morning after drinking too much.
Our bodies rely on H2O for every single function, so remember to drink plenty of water and herbal teas before, during and after drinking alcohol.
Add Organic Burst Baobab to your water to help you stay hydrated. As well as tasting refreshing and citrusy, you’ll benefit from the immune boosting Vitamin C content, plus the electrolyte potassium, which both get used up when drinking alcohol.
LINE YOUR STOMACH
The golden rule of alcohol is to never drink on an empty stomach. A lot of the alcohol you consume is absorbed straight through the stomach lining, this is why you can feel the effects so quickly.
The difference between feeling normal vs. waking up the next morning with a queasy stomach and throbbing head can be as simple as 1 good meal.
If you don’t have time to eat before your night out, at least eat a sturdy snack containing protein before a single drop of alcohol passes your lips. Some soup, Greek yoghurt, Spirulina Superbites are all good snack options.
Choose caffeine OR alcohol in any 24 hour period – if you’re going to be drinking in the evening, don’t load up on your usual double shot macchiato that morning because caffeine puts an extra load on your liver, which you really want to be working at its best if you’re chucking alcohol at it later on!
Caffeine is also powerfully dehydrating, which will add to the effect of alcohol.
PROTECT YOUR LIVER
Start eating liver-supportive foods in advance of a big party – ideally a week or two before.
- Organic Burst Chlorella is the perfect liver protector because it actually cleanses toxins from the body. Take 4 tablets or 1 teaspoon in lemon water, juice, or your favourite smoothie every day, then you can increase the dose to 8 tablets or 2 teaspoons after 3-4 days.
- Apple cider vinegar is a great liver helper. Take a teaspoon in a glass of warm water each morning
- Turmeric either fresh or dried, is very powerful for the liver, add to cooking, in a warming teaor add the fresh root to a smoothie (it blends easily).
CHOOSE YOUR POISON CAREFULLY!
Some drinks have a much more dramatic effect on how you feel the next day, due to sugar and additives such as colors and preservatives that put a strain on your pancreas and your detoxification organs.
Brightly coloured alco-pops, mixers, and syrupy liqueurs are the worst culprits. For this reason, most cocktails are best avoided. If possible, go for organic sulphate-free wine, or clear spirits like gin or vodka mixed with sparkling water and lemon or lime juice.
Hangover tip: Try organic sulphate-free wine, or clear spirits with sparkling water and lime juice.
Finally, if all else fails, here’s our emergency morning after protocol:
- Lie in as long as you can, recovery takes place in your sleep!
- Get outside and enjoy some fresh air and exercise – a gentle walk is fine. Strong daylight has a natural anti-depressant effect, hiding under the duvet all day will only make you feel worse.
- Rather than reaching for a greasy breakfast, go for some natural yoghurt to help rebalance the gut flora and ease your queasiness. Sauerkraut is also very helpful for your gut flora, another great choice if you can stomach it!
- Take a booster dose of Organic Burst Chlorella tablets (or powder) to help the liver process the onslaught of harmful toxins. Numerous studies show chlorella helping remove alcohol from the liver, as well as cleansing it from other chemicals such as environmental pollutants. Amazing stuff!
- Rehydrate with plain water, lemon water, fizzy water – you get the gist.
Party responsibly people!