Mainstream tooth whitening products like gels and strips contain chemicals like carbamide peroxide and other bleaching agents that can irritate the gums, causing brittleness (potential crumbling) of the teeth. Eeek!
Turmeric is a completely natural, but very effective and popular alternative to the usual pharmacy whitening products. A little like charcoal whitening, Turmeric is not exactly an obvious choice, but it works, and it's being talked about more and more by many wellbeing experts who use it regularly.
There's science behind this too! Turmeric can actually protect the teeth and oral tissues; researchers found that Turmeric (and its powerful component curcumin) reduced plaque, gum irritation and bacteria when used in a mouthwash. (Source: Journal of Indian Society of Periodontology, 2012)
But Turmeric is bright yellow, won't it stain my teeth? We hear you! Never fear, it will not stain your teeth, just follow our "how to" below and rinse afterwards.
Hear from our Burster:
"I just started brushing my teeth with your Pro-tip: [Turmeric] coconut oil and salt. My teeth feel cleaner than an actual dentist visit"
- @suga_hil, on Instagram
Brush at the ready? First remember to choose an exceptional Turmeric for best results!
- Organic Burst Turmeric contains 3.4x more curcumin (the powerful active compound) than average so you'll get better and faster benefits.
- Our Turmeric is free from harmful azo Metanil Yellow, a toxic dye often found in Turmeric powders, that you definitely don't want to come in contact with your teeth and gums.
- Simple version: Dip your wet toothbrush in a little Turmeric, brush, leave for 3-5 minutes, rinse thoroughly, then follow up with your usual paste/powder.
- Pro version: Mix 1/2 teaspoon Organic Burst Turmeric, 1/4 teaspoon sea salt & 1/8 teaspoon organic coconut oil. Use as above. If you prefer, switch the sea salt for baking soda for a milder version.
- Practice daily & you should see a difference within 3-4 days!
- OB Tip: Your brush will become tinged with vibrant Turmeric yellow, but it's nothing to worry about (this is all natural, no dyes are added to our products)! You could always keep a separate toothbrush especially for Turmeric whitening days.
Other healthy teeth tips:
- Try Organic Burst Chlorella and Spirulina, which contain a wide spectrum of minerals and beta carotene - important for healthy teeth. Take 1-2 servings daily.
- Oil pulling is an ancient technique to clean and detoxify your mouth, we explain how to do it here.