A sweet potato smoothie you say? Yuh-huh! This awesome, aromatic, pie-inspired brekkie or lunch recipe is an amazing way to fill you up, keep your energy levels stable and hormones in balance.
But why put sweet potato in a smoothie anyway? So many reasons!
Sweet potatoes are very filling, making the smoothie virtually a meal in itself.
Plus the low GI of boiled sweet potato stabilises your blood sugar, for long-lasting energy, stopping insulin spikes that have a negative effect on your hormonal balance - think painful periods, breakouts, mood swings.
- The addition of Organic Burst Turmeric is fantastic for putting you in a strong, positive mind set for a day at work or school and keeping your mood stable.
- It's a fantastic smoothie for a smooth monthly cycle - due to the powerful benefits of both Turmeric and cinnamon.
- Help your body turn food into energy (instead of storing it as fat) with warming cinnamon - proven to increase your sensitivity to insulin.
- HACK: We've discovered that boiling in the skin is the best cooking method for preserving beta-carotene in the sweet potato for glowing skin, preventing premature ageing, maintaining sharp eyesight and fighting off colds and flu.
- 1 small-medium sweet potato (or 1/2 large one)
- 1/2 banana
- 1 teaspoon Organic Burst Turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon Organic Burst Cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons virgin coconut oil or coconut cream
- 1 cup water
- 3/4 cup almond milk (or other plant-based milk of your choice)
- Sprinkle of Organic Burst Goji Berries
- Slice sweet potato into 4 quarters. Keep the skins on. Add to a pan with substantial amount of water to cover them. Let it boil and then simmer for 35 minutes or until the flesh is soft.
- Take the ready sweet potato quarters out of the water and let them cool on a plate. At this stage you can either keep the skins - as they have almost 10x the antioxidants than the orange flesh itself! - or remove them for a more vibrant orange-y colour of the smoothie. Don't worry - they do not affect the taste at all and the colour will be just slightly less orangey!
- Add the sweet potatoes + the rest of the ingredients into your blender. Blend until smooth. Depending on the size of your sweet potatoes and the desired thickness of your smoothie you can add more or less water.
- Sprinkle some Organic Burst Goji Berries and enjoy!